Pages

Sunday 18 April 2010

Reviews by Jessewave

A really exciting new challenge has presented itself to me this weekend. I've been asked by Wave of Reviews by Jessewave if I'd like to try writing reviews for her blog.

This is my absolute favourite review blog and I check it at least once a day; it informs a lot of my buying decisions. Being asked is a huge honour, and not just that but a great opportunity because it means that my name will become familiar to m/m readers before my books ever hit the market. Of course I said yes. Actually, I said 'HELL yes!'.

Nevertheless, it's a little daunting. First of all, as Wave herself points out, this is a serious responsibility. Not only am I going to be having an impact on the quality of this famous blog, but I'm going to hopefully be influencing other people's book buying, just like Wave, Tam, Lily, Jenre, Aunt Leslie and the rest have influenced mine. I have to be fair minded, thorough and objective, while also striving to be entertaining.

There are potential pitfalls. Although I've taken a solemn oath not to be snarky for snarks sake, there are going to be times when my reviews contain unfavourable remarks. Some readers aren't going to like that. I may review authors who are published by the same publishers as me, and that could be awkward if I have negative comments. Will they be angry at me, or think I'm being disloyal? It might not seem fair, but I know that people often aren't fair when their baby, their work, is under discussion.

Despite my niggles, I'm really enthusiastic because I love the m/m community. I've been an m/m reader for nearly three years but I've only dipped my toe into the m/m readers and writers community since January this year and I've found it to be a wonderful place, peopled with strong, intelligent, well-read men and women. People of high ideals, high standards and great integrity. I want to be one of them and that's why I'm taking the leap and doing this.

On with the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment