Pages

Wednesday 21 April 2010

Rejection and Bitch-Slapping

Short post because I am, in a word, knackered.

Having allowed Wave to lure me into turning my five-minute rant on pen-names into an editorial post for her blog, I then got bitch-slapped by...oh, let's see...everyone. Pretty much. I've been replying to comments non stop and post of them are not of the 'Right On, Sista' variety. That'll teach me to have opinions. Or, at least, not to think about them a bit more carefully before sharing them.

I just heard back from TQ Press that 'Precious Possession' is not right for them either. This would be more depressing if it was a form rejection, like the one from DSP, but the lovely Michelle gave me feedback which let me pinpoint what was wrong. Basically I tried to tell the story in the style of a fairytale, with a sarcastic narrator voice. Michelle said that it basically felt like the first eight pages were info-dumping. So that didn't work, then. She also invited me to re-write and submit, which I fully intend to do once I get a spare five minutes. I know they're still looking for Halloween sips and I think PP could work really well for that.

The lesson I have learned this week: People (and by people I mean me) make mistakes. It's okay. The only unforgivable sin is not to learn from them. No more ranting on Wave's blog (I can rant here all I like, since no one reads it) and no more sarcastic narrator voice for me.

Now, back to my new YA novel. I need to hit 5000 words before I shut down tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment