Pages

Sunday 11 April 2010

Pen-Names: Discretion or Cowardice?

Quick post today, as I'm wanting to write a certain amount of words before Monday, and blog posts don't count, unfortunately.

So, I've just been participating in a discussion on an m/m writer's forum about pen-names. I'd say, at a rough guess, that about 75% of the people posting there write their m/m fiction under a pen-name of some kind. Including me. Various reasons were given.

For example, I'm already a fairly well-known novelist of books for young adults and children. I write under a pen-name to separate my m/m work from my YA work, otherwise there would be nothing to stop my YA readers (many of whom are ten or under) from assuming that the stories published by DSP or Torquere (easily found in a Google search) were written for them. The implications there are sticky in more ways than one. I'd rather not read an email from a puzzled ten year old asking me to explain gay sex. I'd rather not read one from an homophobic parent of a ten year old (and it's stunning how many parents reveal heretofore unnoticed homophobic tendencies when it comes to their kids) asking me to drop dead. I'd definitely rather not get one from a large group of librarians who've decided to ban my YA work based on my lack of moral fibre, an all too real possibility in the US.

Other writers were teachers who knew that, despite discrimination laws, their jobs would be under threat if it was discovered that they wrote about sex at all, let alone gay sex. Still others had family members who feared for their jobs or businesses, and swore them to secrecy. One lady has a church group that she and her family love, and whom they rely on for many different kinds of support, but which they knew would eject them if they found out about her m/m writing.

It was when I got to the last example that I felt my mental gears grind to a halt. Because, although the author in question described her church group as being genuinely nice people, and used language like 'conservative' to describe them, it's clear that what that group must actually be is bigoted. Very bigoted. Anti-gay. Homophobic.

So this lady is someone who presumably believes in gay rights and abhors prejudice and bigotry, and yet she's happy for her family to associate and take comfort from a group of people who are teaching them that hating gay people and displaying hatred and rejection to those who believe in equal rights for gay people, is just A-Okay.

Huh?

The problem is that once you question this last example, you find yourself going back through all the other reasons - like the ones from people who fear that their jobs would be under threat, and my own excuse about not wanting kids to accidentally read work not meant for them...and suddenly it all seems a bit feeble. You start to wonder how the Hell society is ever going to evolve if people don't stand up and take that risk one day? Why anyone bothered to write discrimination laws if none of us trust them? If kids go ahead and read stories that depict gay sex despite all the warnings posted on them then it's not like the world will end, is it?

You find yourself thinking: we've got a Hell of a nerve writing m/m fiction with an attitude like that. Gay people who want to live anything approaching a real life don't get to come up with a pen-name and a bunch of excuses. They either come out and face all the hatred or they live a life of lies and repression. And I should know, because I'm bisexual, and I'm out in real life. So just what the Hell am I thinking with this pen-name stuff?

And the answer is...I don't know. But maybe I - and all the m/m authors out there - should think about this a little more.

2 comments:

  1. Funny you should mention taking a risk. I did that the other day with my post on banning the 'n' word and got smacked around for it. :) Not that I cared, because I anticipated the response.

    Re M/M authors and pen names, what I object to is when female writers use male or ambiguous pseuds because they want to establish cred. as a gay man. I think that's deceitful. It's OK to have a pen name for different reasons, especially in your case where you also write books for young adults or even younger. There's no way that you would want your young readers coming across some of the other stuff you write for exactly the reasons you outlined. That's just common sense. However, the author you mentioned who belonged to a homophobic church group but wrote M/M romances, demonstrates the height of hypocracy.

    A situation arose several months ago that would have been funny if it weren't similar to this other author you mentioned. I interviewed an M/M author who used an email address as a contact in her interview; apparently she used her private email that her church group knew. She freaked out when the interview was posted and tried to blame me for the error and it wasn't until I showed her the correspondence where she herself had inserted that address that she calmed down and asked me politely to change it. It's amazing how the threat of exposure reveals a lot about people.

    I'm sure that there are many female M/M writers who are fine upstanding pillars in their churches or communities and damn the souls of all gays, lesbians, bi's and everyone who is not a straight christian. It's just the world in which we live unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you have the satisfaction of knowing that you had the courage to stand up and say what you believed in. All those f*ckwits that crawled into your inbox with their hatemail ought to be feeling pretty dickless right about now.

    Homophobes writing m/m really gets my goat. It makes me understand why some writers of gay fiction seem to hate us all: because the homophobes basically turn what should be a legitimate romance genre and turn it into some kind of prurient, dirty, nasty secret that they use to get their repressed little jollies off.

    Dammit. Where's the rest of that chocolate bar...

    ReplyDelete