Pages

Sunday 9 May 2010

Drumroll....and the Winner Is...

Thank you to all who voted in the What Should Alexi Write Next Poll. As you can see, the winner is...May to December!

The tentative title for this book is actually A New Forever. A little more detail about it: This story is about a conservative, older gay man (I'm thinking late forties) who was with the same partner for twenty-odd years before his partner was killed in an accident. He thought that they were going to be together forever, and his entire personality and sense of self was rooted in being part of this couple. For a man who has always thought of himself as strong and independent, realising that he doesn't feel whole alone is nearly as much of a shock as losing his beloved husband.

After a period of mourning so intense that at times he's doubted his sanity, he starts to get a grip on life again - and his friends and family begin to encourage him to get out and about, get back into the dating game, have a few reckless flings. They drag him to clubs and bars, where he meets a much, much younger man (I'm thinking just into his twenties) who is the classic twink: skinny, slightly effeminate, cute and promiscuous. This young man pursues the older man doggedly and eventually they begin an affair. At first the older man's friends are all for this, encouraging him to get his rocks off and move on. But the older character and the younger one find that they have a lot more in common than meets the eye, and their affair soon becomes about a lot more than sex. Now the older man's friends and family are horrified because they don't see any future for such an odd couple, and they dismiss the younger man as a shallow slut. fine for fucking, not for a relationship. The couple have to battle through their own and everyone else's preconceptions to try and make (that's right, you saw it coming ) a new forever.

I wanted to write this story because I come across a lot of stories where a person has been bereaved and is mourning, but as the book goes on you begin to see that the deceased partner was really not right for the character at all. They were inconsiderate, unfaithful, just incompatible. So when they meet their new partner, everything is pretty much smooth sailing apart from the baggage caused by that previous, unhappy relationship. Examples of books where this is done well are 'Catching a Second Wind' by Sean Michael and 'Blue Fire' by Z A Maxfield. There's nothing wrong with this device, but I wanted to have a look at a person who is mourning a partner who was really right for them, who made them happy and would have done for the rest of their lives. How do you rebuild your life after losing half of it?

I also wanted to have another look at a relationship with a big age gap and how this affects not only the couple but their network of friends and family. Finally, in this book I'd like to challenge some ideas about what a twink is, and examine how the balance of power in a relationship can shift. But don't worry! There's a definite role for humour in the book as well.

I will be working on this story as soon as I can clear some space from working on my fantasy novel. Comments, questions...? Feel free.

3 comments:

  1. Wow this sounds really really good. Of course I will be getting it when it comes out!! I really love your writing style!!....Leaundra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I might be a while before it gets finished though - my print publisher has moved my deadline on my next fantasy up. EEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexi,

    (I'm sorry to be posting something fairly unrelated to your blog - though I'm excited about your new project! - but finding your email is nigh-impossible).

    I just wanted to thank you so much for the review of Soul Bond that you posted. It’s always a little hard to read an unflattering review, but ultimately I think that writers learn a lot more from the firm and fair reviews that don’t gush about their work.

    Despite the concerns you had (and did you ever call me out on not being a huge sci-fi fan), I hope that you won’t give up on me as an author. I really did take a lot away from the experience. My new book (title TBA) is due out in September from Carina Press and I’d love to get your thoughts on it when it becomes available.

    Thank you sincerely for your review. After I’d gotten over my need be a little emo, it was really awesome to read.

    Christine Price
    (feel free to drop me a line anytime at priceiswrite@christinepricewrites.com)

    ReplyDelete